A lot of people believe asphalt to be unsustainable, so we wanted to give you a few facts today to prove otherwise. Asphalt is actually the best material for parking lots, driveways, and roadways because it is so sustainable – as well as recyclable, economically friendly, and ecologically friendly. Let’s take a look at several ways asphalt is better than other types of pavement.
- Recyclable – Old asphalt pavement is directly recycled to create new asphalt. Old roadways and parking lots are broken down, turned to rubble, and mixed with new binding agents to become all new asphalt.
- Recycled Materials – Several other materials are often recycled into asphalt pavement. Some of the most common landfill items can be used and recycled into roadways. These include used tires, glass, blast furnace slag, asphalt roofing shingles, and many other items.
- Less Energy Consumption – It takes less energy and fuel to create asphalt than it does to create other types of pavement products.
- Faster Road Repairs – Concrete roads and parking lots must dry completely before they can be used. This can take several days to a week depending on the type of concrete used. Asphalt is opened to traffic as soon as it cools.
- Fewer Total Replacements – Asphalt doesn’t necessarily wear out like other types of pavements. Once the asphalt begins to crack or show signs of damage, only the top layer is removed and replaced because the roadbed below is still in great condition.
Consumer safety is another very important element of using asphalt pavement in lieu of other materials. Asphalt roads offer superior contact to tires, effectively improving the safety of each vehicle on the road. Open-graded asphalt is frequently used on roads in areas that receive a lot of rainfall because it allows water to drain through the surface and reduce splash from vehicle tires.
In addition to being recyclable, energy efficient, and environmentally friendly, they’re also faster to construct and rehabilitate if they become damaged. Asphalt isn’t just a pour-it-and-leave-it substance though; it has to be maintained over time. We provide an annual asphalt maintenance service that will help ensure that your pavement looks great year after year.
Take a look at some of our local Chicago area projects to get a good idea of the type of work we do here at Rapco Asphalt Maintenance. Give us a call at 847-299-1830 to discuss scheduling an appointment for a consultation regarding your upcoming asphalt project or to schedule a free parking lot evaluation. Consider signing up for our maintenance program if you would rather focus on your business than your asphalt.