All of us usually take our asphalt pavement for granted. After all, it is a place to park our car, drive over, or play on. Unfortunately, those things that we use our asphalt pavement for are some of the things that can damage it.
Here are the different types of asphalt deterioration:
- Cracking – There are almost too many types of cracking that can occur in asphalt to count. They range from alligator cracking, slippage, and edge cracks to reflection, shrinkage, and widening.
- Distortion – Distortion is normally caused when the base of the asphalt begins to deteriorate or something heavy has been placed on top of it for a long time.
- Disintegration – When asphalt disintegrates, the result ends up being a pothole or raveling.
As stated above, asphalt deterioration can be caused by normal wear and tear. However, there are many other things that can cause it to happen.
Here are the factors that will lead to asphalt deterioration:
- Water – Water will begin to penetrate asphalt over time and once it gets underneath, it will cause the asphalt to break down and collapse.
- Sunlight – The sun will dry out and break down the liquid that hardened to hold the aggregate together. Once the sun breaks down that material, the asphalt will shrink and raveling will occur.
- Chemical or petroleum exposure – Anytime gasoline, oil, or other chemicals spill onto asphalt; they soften it and cause it to break down quickly.
Of course, there are certain things that can happen to cause asphalt to deteriorate sooner than it should. Anytime an insufficient or improperly compacted base is placed below asphalt, the asphalt will collapse rather quickly. Not having the asphalt at the proper temperature when applied or not having it compacted enough will also cause problems.
One of the most common causes of asphalt deterioration though is poor drainage. We always recommend that you keep an eye on any standing water on your asphalt, because that can be a clue that you need to make some adjustments sooner than later.
Asphalt Repair and Maintenance in Chicagoland
We recommend that you make repairs to your asphalt as needed so that you can avoid many of these issues. The reason for this is that once these issues occur, you will spend a lot more money on either repair or replacing your entire asphalt surface. We offer a comprehensive asphalt maintenance program that will help you extend the life of your asphalt parking lot or driveway.
Call us at 847-299-1830 to discuss asphalt repair and maintenance with us. We’ll schedule an appointment for a consultation to make sure you get the most out of your asphalt.